Stupid financing question

3 Replies

I got a low appraisal from an FHA buyer. Since it stays for 120 days I decided to drop the price. Now I think I may have goofed. Let's say you have a contract for 105k and the app comes in at 100k. Does that mean before or after the down payment? In other words would you drop the price to 100k or 103500 since they would only be borrowing 100? Thanks

The appraisal sets the upper limit for the purchase price, not the loan amount, than can be financed. The FHA appraisal won't affect non FHA buyers.

I wouldnt sweat a couple thousand to close the deal. How long has it been on the market and how low do you consider the apprasial? Just to make sure I understand, you agreed to 105k and it came back at 100k?

The 3% equity puts the loan at 97K, costs may be included depending on the program.

Like Wayne mentioned, you don't have to drop the price going conventionally, but don't expect another appraisal to be far off the one you got. You could get the same appraiser too. 5K is 5K, but I'd rather price it right and move the place than hold it trying to get more. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.