Renovated Townhouse> 1% rule > Keep or Sale

Renovated Townhouse> 1% rule > Keep or Sale

Jonathan SmallPro Member
Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 151 votes

Looking for feedback 

I’m wrestling with a portfolio decision and would appreciate thoughtful input from experienced operators.

I own a renovated 3/2 in Lithonia, Georgia. (all electric, quiet pocket neighborhood, bus line, close to shopping). It’s rented to a long-term housing authority tenant at $2,000/month.

Numbers:

~ $210K ARV

~$120K equity

~$890/month true cash flow

Voucher tenant, consistent payments.  On paper, this thing performs.

The tension:

Most of my other rentals are in Valdosta GA and with a PM.  I self-manage this one.  I don't mind but a small pain point.

So the real question isn’t about this property’s performance. It’s about geographic focus and capital efficiency.

Reasons to keep:

One of our 1st rentals. Strong cash flow relative to value

Hard to find sub-$250K assets in Metro ATL

Stable voucher income

Secluded area with good rent support

Reasons to sell:

Portfolio fragmentation

Management bandwidth

$120K trapped equity could be redeployed into clustered assets

Cleaner operations in one market

If this were your portfolio — would you: 

A) Keep the high-yield outlier

B) Sell and redeploy into a more centralized strategy

C) 1031 into something closer to core holdings

D> maybe something else I have not considered

Would love to hear how others think through this type of decision.

1Reply
53 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    @Jonathan Small

    I have a similar situation.  I mostly self manage and have a few long distance rentals (out of state) that perform very well.  As long as I have a team nearby who can handle the handyman issues for me the only hassle is replacing a tenant.

    This property cash flows really nice.  If it’s a pain point and or you don’t want to manage it you can hire a pm.  Certainly enough cash flow to cover it.  The only side note on this is if you can redeploy your capital after all expenses into a better producing asset then selling makes sense.  Otherwise I would keep it.  

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    7mo

    This is a good problem to have since the property performs well. The decision really is strategic, not about the numbers on this one asset.

    There’s real value in consolidation. Fewer markets usually mean cleaner systems, less mental overhead, and better scale with your PM. That simplicity can compound over time.

    At the same time, this isn’t the easiest selling environment. Rates are higher, days on market are longer, and buyers are more payment-sensitive. Even good rentals can take time to move unless priced very cleanly. If you sell, you’ll want a clear plan to redeploy the equity efficiently.

    You also have something that’s hard to replace right now: strong cash flow in Metro ATL at a sub-$250K valuation. Those aren’t everywhere.

    I’d ask yourself: does this asset align with where you want your portfolio to be in 5–10 years? And if you sold it tomorrow, do you already know what you’d buy instead?

    Sometimes keeping a high-yield outlier makes sense. Sometimes simplifying unlocks more growth. The key is making the move intentionally, not just reacting to the friction.

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.