How will autonomous cars effect real estate trends?

1 Reply

Over the years, there has been a growing demand for walkable communities. At a quick glance, this has been shown in the form of people moving into more densely populated areas, such as cities and downtown areas of suburbs.

In less than a decade though, autonomous cars will be available to consumers. I am curious how BPers believe this will effect real estate trends. Will it promote suburban sprawl, since having a long commute will not be as stressful? Will it further enhance density, because it will be easier/cheaper than ever to take a cab or use a car share service instead of owning a car?

Overall, what do you think will be the effect of autonomous cars on real estate trends?

I don't think autonomous cars will be widely used for some time....maybe decades. The infrastructure isn't there & no matter how smart the new robot-car is, it won't prevent some teen in an '84 Buick from careening into them while texting. Would tend to spoil that "relaxing" commute. Besides, as a car-chic, I have to ask...who wants an autonomous car anyway?!? If I don't want to drive, I'll take the train, bus, or plane....for a lot less money.

Do I think they're coming? Yes. Will they be a huge hit? My guess is, not really. People LIKE to drive.

Medium star changer propertiesKaryn T. MD, Star Changer Properties, LLC | [email protected] | 5599976326

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you