How will autonomous cars effect real estate trends?

1 Reply

Over the years, there has been a growing demand for walkable communities. At a quick glance, this has been shown in the form of people moving into more densely populated areas, such as cities and downtown areas of suburbs.

In less than a decade though, autonomous cars will be available to consumers. I am curious how BPers believe this will effect real estate trends. Will it promote suburban sprawl, since having a long commute will not be as stressful? Will it further enhance density, because it will be easier/cheaper than ever to take a cab or use a car share service instead of owning a car?

Overall, what do you think will be the effect of autonomous cars on real estate trends?

I don't think autonomous cars will be widely used for some time....maybe decades. The infrastructure isn't there & no matter how smart the new robot-car is, it won't prevent some teen in an '84 Buick from careening into them while texting. Would tend to spoil that "relaxing" commute. Besides, as a car-chic, I have to ask...who wants an autonomous car anyway?!? If I don't want to drive, I'll take the train, bus, or plane....for a lot less money.

Do I think they're coming? Yes. Will they be a huge hit? My guess is, not really. People LIKE to drive.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.