Do Zillow Agents Ever Respond?

14 Replies

I noticed that whenever I find a property on Zillow that I contact the Agent using the 'Get More Information' fields in Zillow I've never ever received a response. I give them my email, phone, eye color, birthdate, blood type, DNA sample, and still no response.

Is it me or is this feature just not working???

I have only tried twice, and had a 50% contact rate.

I don't know about Zillow as I don't use it much. Realtors don't seem to respond with a great deal of frequency to a realtor.com emails either. I sent 26 before noon on Friday, it's now midnight and I've gotten 7 emails and 1 phone call.

On the bright side, I think the phone call may lead to a great deal :)

I'd get yourself a buyer's agent. It's a mostly a myth that listing agents will work with you because they want both sides of the commission. Took me years to figure out how agents could stay in business if they don't return your call. They prioritize and return agent calls. Many will not work directly with unrepresented buyers, even investor buyers.

You're better off contacting the listing agent and see if he/she are willing to be a dual agent (both buyer & seller's agent)

This will mean that the dual agent would get the whole slice of pie (they'll get all the commission instead of having to split it with a buyer's agent). The agent will be motivated to sell to you, even @ a discount/price less than listing

I recommend finding a good agent to work with that works on your behalf. Listing agent has a fiduciary responsibility to the seller meaning he/she must put clients interest before yours.

zillow is a lead generating website. They make money by collecting the information that you just said you provided.

Me being a property buyer, sent them 2 e-mails but they don't seem to care. But I can't deny how vastly beneficiary and informative their website is. Maybe they aren't interested selling their listed properties to any agent.

I've always gotten a response from Zillow instantly. Maybe it's just my area and they are desperate to make a sale.

When you go to Zillow, you can usually see 3 agents shown, sometimes one is the listing agent. It depends on the listing and whether the agent is a Zillow participant.

Our policy is to respond immediately to a Zillow lead, if a phone number is given, I'll make the call, if it's 8am-9pm. If I see something pop up at midnight, I'll wait till the morning. It's a pay-for-leads service, or rather, pay for impressions, they offer a number of times your ad will show each month for a price. As with any customer service business, there are people who are very responsive and others who seem to have other priorities.

If you are interested in a particular area, it's worth the time to find a realtor who is willing to work with you. Some are better than others at understanding what an investor is going to need. If you are up front about wanting to make multiple offers, all well below listing price, but are able to close on the one that's accepted, that's a legitimate strategy, and an agent should be happy to work with you. The tougher thing for an agent is the buyer who is looking for a combination of low price and owner financing. It's possible, but is likely to burn a lot of BTUs.

Still, when I sat for the classwork to get my license, most people in that room had no job lined up and are going to need to keep busy to find customers when they start working.

It works, just takes some time.

Interesting, thanks for your input - I'll look directly for a buyers agent. I've done this this for multiple states and cities and have 0% response rate...just find it really strange. Thanks all! have a great memorial day weekend!

This isn't a reflection of Zillow, IMO, but of the agents who are advertising there. You find the same thing on other sites as well.

It seems to me that less and less people have a sense of urgency when dealing with clients and potential clients. Those that do display that trait will prevail.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.