Is this normal for laminate floors?

3 Replies

Hello everyone. I recently had a contractor install new laminate floors in a house I am renovating. When I opened the front door and saw the newly installed floors I was delighted because they looked spectacular. However, as I walked around on it something felt a little strange. It felt somewhat cushiony as opposed to the firmness I was expecting. I phoned the contractor and told him about my concerns. He went out the next day and phoned me back saying the cushiony feeling was normal due to the larger padding attached to the high quality 12 mm laminate he used. Is this normal because I've only encountered laminate that was hard and felt like you were walking on concrete? Thanks.

It is not unusual. The thickness of the underlayment matters and whether you installed over concrete or a wood floor.

Walking on a thick laminate should not feel cushy, but wood has a natural "bounce" that is bigger than concrete.

If you can hear anything being squeezed, then it is probably bad.

Before I paid the contractor, I would probably ask him to pull out a corner and show how he installed.

If the floor is deflecting under foot, that is not intended. Laminate floors call for a flat surface whereas level is not as important. In some instances I've experieneced new flooring having a bow in it straight out of the box. This may cause some boards/areas to float.

If the deflection is caused by irregularities in the subfloor, they will probably never flatten out. But if the boards are a little warped, they should relax and flatten on their own after some time.

Question: Did the installer let the material acclimate to the room for a couple of days before installation?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.