Proper compensation

5 Replies

so theoretical, if I got a mortgage on a property to fix and flip, had an investor who wants in. He is willing to to give the 20% down and rehab costs. When we sell what's a fair compensation to him from profits or % on his investment?

I think it depends on the investors tolerance to risk. Is he is looking to just supply capital and see a guaranteed % return after a certain time period? If so then a smaller % return similar to what a HML would charge I think would be appropriate.

If they are willing to take on more risk and if things went south share in the loss then a higher cut of the profits is in order.

I currently operate with an investor in this same scenario.  The investor supplies funds to purchase and rehab the property.  At the end we split the profits 50/50.

Personally I am confident in my projects enough that I would rather just pay a %. I haven't been able to find my investors willing to put up that kind of cash for a % return that aren't HML and are doing a lot of deals.

If this is your first deal I would recommended giving them a share of profits.  This way if things go south your not on the hook to not only pay back the funds they put up but also the % return you promised.

Where's the other 80% coming from?

A typical rehabber/money partner split is 50/50, but that's assuming the money partner is bring 100% of the money.

I think it really depends on your track record, financial position, and ability to raise other funds. A few years ago when I was starting out I would've given half the profits away for someone to put up the downpayment on a loan, even if I had to sign for the loan and carry a payment still. But that was when I had few options.

If your investor wants to share in the risk/reward of the deal with profit participation, most agree it's fair if he gets 50% of profits if he funds the entire deal. If he's only funding a portion (such as downpayment and/or rehab funds), and you still have to guarantee a loan, I think it's fair to give him 50% of the profits per his contribution. So, if he contributes 30% of your entire investment of purchase and rehab, I'd think giving him 15% of the profits is fair to everyone.

Or, you could partner with him, and both sign for the loan. That would change my opinion as well :)

The other 80% would come from a hard money loan that i would secure.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.