Don't make this stupid mistake

5 Replies

I am set to close on my house on Friday. My realtor emails me a copy of the closing statement and a forward from the title company saying the selling bank wants the money wired to an escrow account a couple days early to verify funds and make closing easier. I know. I know. But I didn't think twice about it. Well long story short I get an email that there is a problem. I call my realtor and he says "what wire". The hucksters were in a branch in Loredo about to make off with tens of thousands. A quick thinking manager decided to call my bank and verify their story. If not for that save my money would have been in the wind. The whole thing was a hack job. I lost a lot of hair today but am counting my blessings.

Take that manager to lunch and thank them. 

Wow. That is crazy. Thank God you had some good people on your side on that. 

wow, kinda scary

@Account Closed  What a pain you can't even trust something coming from your title company. (that is supposed to protect you) I was building a 4plex a few years ago and the title company paid my drywall and paint contractor twice. When I caught it they said that I had to chase the guy down myself. I got him he had some made up story about his brother must have cashed the second $20,000 check and he didn't know about it he wrote me a check and as he was driving off he yelled out the window don't cash it I'll call when its good.  It took me three weeks of calling his bank everyday till there was enough money to cover the check and I went to his bank and got cash. He called the next day mad as a hornet not my problem. I learned two things first I needed a new drywall contractor and two don't trust a title company without checking things out. So glad yours was caught before they took it and ran. 

John,

I would try to find out who the manager was to send them a thank you gift. I would definitely send the bank's headquarters a letter praising that employee.

It's very scary how it's so easy to get ripped off for big bucks these days, thank God that manager wasn't asleep at the switch.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you