contacting an owner directly

3 Replies

Okay, so I realize that this question has probably been asked a million times, but I'm new enough around here that I'm going to justify asking it again, simply because I'm still learning the ropes and am not quite sure where to find the information:

What are the rules (spoken and otherwise) about contacting a property owner directly when a property is listed with a real estate agency?  We're looking at making an offer on a triplex that has been on and off the market for 4-6 months.  The owner is out of state (a seasoned investor with 9 pages of deeds, transfers, etc. at the county assessor), and we're thinking we'd like to look at cutting out the middle man (like, "if you decide to delist and want to talk about options, let us know").  Neither of us are brokers as yet, but we're pretty sure there are contracts in play and want to be sure not to burn bridges in the process of moving forward.  WWYD (what would you do)?

Thanks!

Stacey Olson

Stacey Olson,

The burden is not on you. The burden is on the seller and the contract he has with his Realtor which he has to pay. At the end of the day it's business. However, why not befriend a Realtor and negotiate a rebate of the commission to go back to you post closing for representing you?

You found the seller, the property, and are the buyer... That is a freebie for most agents to earn your potential repeat business. If that doesn't work for you then proceed in contacting the owner directly via direct mailing first a couple of times, then eventually by phone call (if you are able to retrieve that info).

Just my two pesos.

Big Henry

Hi Stacey

I agree with Ben. Realtor should be happy to work out something with you. As you are a potential Long term customer.

One can find mailing address of the owner from public record and find phone number with some search on the web.

Good luck.

Thanks atchut

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here