Hoarders

5 Replies

Has anyone ever looked into ways to find hoarder properties to market to?  I am in the middle of my first hoarder house flip in southern california and have been trying to think of ways to find more.  I know hoarders aren't common, but the condition of the properties are perfect for fix and flippers.  

Hi William,

I am glad you brought this up. I think hoarder houses are probably more common than we think. At least in this part of the country.. Although hoarders often have no shame in their living conditions, when a family member inherits a hoarder house they may be embarrassed when trying to sell it. Because of this, I have been thinking about buying bandit signs that say "We Buy Hoarder Houses". What are your thoughts? 

@Sam Sendgraff  - great idea - We Buy Hoarder Houses - 

What about "We buy Messy Houses"?  I had my neighbor who's son had to empty out a basement full of crap after the neighbor died.  Not that they were hoarders, but I tried to buy the house I and promised they would never have to step foot in that basement again.  I could tell that hit home for him.

This is going to be a very limited market and may not have a good time and expense to purchase ratio as other advertising methods or market groups. But I definitely could see a potential for a good fix and flip return since most buyers couldn't look past the trash, mold and stink. Have fun with that market!

Simon,

What advertising methods have you had the most success with?

Our website generates a great deal of income for us. I personally favor newspaper advertisements. It seems like an old school method, but there is a large population that still reads the newspaper. In addition, most papers also have an online classified section as well. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.