Yellow letters to motivated sellers

6 Replies

Looking for feedback on which target markets will bring the highest percentage of calls from motivated sellers versus just curiosity or tire kicker calls - mailing to a general farm area, vacant properties, probate, divorce, pre-forclosure, etc.

Which two are the most effective. I ask because I'll be mailing a Vacant and high equity list and I want to pick one other target market to also mail.

I've had success sending just a simple note on white paper to property owners. 

One year I sent out about 40 letters to owners in my area and had about 10 responses. Some were curious to know what I was looking for, some emailed me to tell me they weren't interested in selling, but one of them actually sold me his property. There were two other fairly serious sellers that I negotiated with but we couldn't agree on a price. If nothing else it was a great way to meet experienced investors.

Direct mail is my favorite way to find sellers. There's no competing with other buyers on the MLS and no dealing with high pressure real-tors.

Thanks Mike! Btw....what was your criteria for the owners you mailed to....?

@Jeff Abramson  

Honestly, if you are serious about making it as a wholesaler.

You need to search the site for info. The questions you asked have been asked tons of times. When I need to know something, I search the site first and if I don't find an answer, then I make a post.

Best of luck

Originally posted by @Greg Ramsey:

Thanks Mike! Btw....what was your criteria for the owners you mailed to....?

My main criteria was the type of building I was interested in, which at the time was 4-8 plex apartments built 1970 or newer. So my letter just said I'm interested in the type of property you own on such and such Street would you consider selling at this time. I also mentioned some of my multi-family experience and that I was pre-qualified with a bank. 

These were letters to multifamily owners, not single family homeowners like wholesalers look for.

Hi Mike,

I've heard of people using that Click2Mail.com service for targeting a particular zip code. How did you go about getting the correct address or correct name on the letters?  I have not done any mailing yet and just wanted get some pointers. Thanks.

George

Originally posted by @George Bernardino:

Hi Mike,

I've heard of people using that Click2Mail.com service for targeting a particular zip code. How did you go about getting the correct address or correct name on the letters?  I have not done any mailing yet and just wanted get some pointers. Thanks.

George

I actually have a notebook in my car. Whenever I see a property I'm interested in I write the address down in the notebook. Then I look up the owner on the county assessor website and find the owner's name/address through a combination of whitepages.com or any mortgages they recorded at the county recorder. One time I paid peoplefinder.com a few dollars to get a bunch of addresses much faster.

It took a while to do this but there were only about 40 of them and then I put the addresses and properties in an Access database. There were several non deliverable addresses. Some of properties the only person listed on the documents was the attorney, so I just sent the letter to the attorney.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.