Cleaning exterior rough cedar walls

4 Replies

hello All. I purchased home with a two stour addiction that has rough cedar exterior walls. The walls were left to the elements for some years and have turned almost black. I wondered if they can be cleaned with something like bleach/water and dried and re-sealed?  I hap planned for this when I purchased the home and now being told it won work.  I am attaching  photo for you to see. Thanks for all the hlelp.  Tom. 

Tom Keith, TAK Enterprises | [email protected] | 903‑452‑8843

@Tom Keith 

Hi Tom. You might want to spell-check and proof-read your posts. ;-)

I think I know what you are saying though. You have a home with a 2-story addition and you want to clean and re-stain the cedar exterior.

I have used products from Home Depot and Lowe's to clean and stain decks and wood siding. In the paint/stain department you can find "deck wash" or "wood brightener/cleaner." You spray it on the wood with a 2-gallon sprayer and let it sit for a an hour or so and then spray the wood with a pressure washer. It can make a huge difference! You should let the wood dry out for a day or two and then spray or roll on the new stain and sealer. 

If you are going to use a solid stain on the cedar you can skip the wood brightener product but you will still want to pressure wash the wood to clean off dust, oils cobwebs and also open the wood pores to accept the stain and sealer.

Have Fun!

801‑712‑2823 | Podcast Guest on Show #41

@Douglas Larson  darn, I thought my iPad was supposed to do the spellcheck for me. I think it changes words and letters after I leave.  But getting to question.  Thank You. That is what I thought.  I have a lot of spraying to do. This is a lot of old cedar.  Thanks Again 

1. @Douglas Larson  The crew started the cleaning and it is looking great.Looks like most of the facia board will need to be replaced, the prior owners used some form of painted osb.  We are getting through the rehab, keep finding minor issues as usual  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you