Beginner Financing help and feedback, what should i do?

2 Replies

Hi all,

Just want to say in advance thank you for reading my post and any help or feedback you can lend! 

My name is Sherwin Vargas, I will in the Boston Area. I am currently working full-time have just graduated college with about 60k in debt and a credit score in the mid 600s. I would like to have a property fixed and sold, or used for rental income by december 2014 or january 2015. I am focusing on single family and multifamily homes. I am hoping to have marketing materials made and sent out for early september. 

My biggest hurdle right now is financing. I have read a lot about rentals and flipping and I feel at this point a move is necessary for me to actually apply what I have learned and instead learn from experience. I work nights and have been having trouble starting because I feel like most people would just brush me off ( also another reason i don't have a mentor yet). I have not made any connections in the real estate industry here in Boston ( hopefully this will help), 

Financing 

With my debt and credit score a traditional mortgage just feels impossible for me. I feel it would have to jump through so many unnecessary hoops for a denial. My idea was to go to family ( a group of entrepreneurs). They have the money but are hesitant to hand it over for investments that they don't understand. I would like some help as to how to present to them the benefits and possibilities of investing not only with me but in me. Also what I should offer then for the investing ( offer 50/50 split, or an interest earned in their money, or something else).

I would also like some feedback on the best way to have this presented and if it should be informal or formal. I graduated with a degree in accounting and understand more of the business education while they have only learned from experience, should I also use this as a selling point. I do work for these entrepreneurs and they will be helping me start my own business in the near future that is not investing.

I have big goals and dreams and graduated college two months ago and feel I am already behind on them. 

I plan to have my financing all squared away before even looking at properties to narrow down the results to affordable ones. I do have access to the MLS system through an aunt who has just gained access to it but I would like to send her strict parameters of what I am looking for.

Thank you for your listening, 

Sherwin Vargas 

Hi @Sherwin Vargas  

Welcome to BP.  Can you find a friend with good credit to partner up with for your first deal? Maybe that will help with establishing a track record.

Andrew

Hey andrew,

Yes I do have one I was asking for some pointers on how to present the material and what type of interest to offer them or if a 50/50 split is better

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here