Vacant Property in Hot Market - How soon & often should I follow up?

4 Replies

I am interested in a vacant property, but have yet to get a response from the out of state owner.  I sent him a letter last month and followed up with a phone call (voicemail) a little over a week later. 

I am curious how often/soon you follow up on a property.  It is a really hot market and well done rehabs are bringing in some high prices. 

This 2BR, 1BA was purchased for $80k in January and sold for $245 last month.

I don't want to be a nuisance but I also want to be fresh in his mind when he decides it is time to sell. 

The hand written letters are the ones that catch my attention the most.  I decorate my fridge with them in the event that I have to sell sooner rather than later.  The owner probably knows what it is worth or what it will be worth which is why he is sitting on it a little longer.  If he is out of state he probably doesn't want to deal with it being occupied because that's more work than turning around and selling it for a huge profit.

@Jassem A.  

Thanks for the reply.  It has been vacant for a few years now and I have done plenty of speculating as to his reasons for keeping it.  My letter was handwritten. 

@Account Closed , I understand that you don't want to be a nuisance, but really what if you're a gentleman and the seller accepts someone else's offer. Perhaps that other buyer was a bit more persistent or a little more creative. Whatever, he will have gotten the attention of the buyer.

What if you called every day until the phone is NOT answered by a machine. Whenever the machine answers you just logged the call and hang up without a message. About once a week you leave a message something like, "Hey, I'm trying to reach about your property at 123 Main St. in Pennsylvania. Please call me at 555 555-5555. It's important." That's all you need to say.

Try putting his house up for sale on Craigslist, then send him a message saying that you saw "his" Craigslist add and you know someone who might be interested in buying his house. (Kinda underhanded, I know, but better than bandit signs.) 

There are all kind of ways to get in the guy to talk to you, even if he's just calling to yell at you. At this point you're just trying to get a conversation started. Once you're talking you downplay the nuisance stuff and get talking about what you can do for Mr Buyer.

I gotta run right now, but there a lot more details. Let me know if this helps.

All the best.

Tom Mole | [email protected]

@Tom Mole  

Thanks for the response.  I do like the idea of trying to call on a regular basis, and just not leaving a message if I get the machine. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you