FHA Loans/USDA Loans

5 Replies

When I buy my first investment property I plan to use one of these loans for financing. I know that both options have their own specifics involved but as an overall experience I would like to know how the process work for you when you financed deals with these loans. Could you adjust your down payment? Could you adjust your interest rates? How long did it take? Any hiccups? 

Thank You!

Isaac Z Schulman

Isaac,

Neither FHA nor USDA will allow for Investment property financing. Those programs are for primary residence financing only. They only way you could use either of those is to buy it and live in it.

If I bought a small multifamily home with an FHA loan and rented out a few units to create positive cash-flow is that not considered an investment property? That is my plan.

With the USDA Loan I was thinking it would be more of a deal focused on possible appreciation of the area to than sell for a profit. 

I am leaning towards small Multi-Family financed by an FHA and I would live there. and manage the property.

Do you have any experience using these loans?

If you live in one of the units, the banks will not consider it an "investment property" as long as it's less than 5 units. 

I would caution you about betting on appreciation.  Though it is nice and can be somewhat predictive, it is still a form of speculation.  Always be sure that the numbers work WITHOUT considering appreciation first.

Frankie Woods

Did you ever get the USDA loan, Isaac?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.