Rental house with a pool a good idea?

2 Replies

I'm looking into a house on MLS in Texas that is currently owned by an out of state investor who is looking to sell, and its been rented since 2007, unsure if its continuous. Still in initial stages of investigation, but is it generally a good idea to buy a rental property with pool. Heard there's a huge liability on the owner if something happens. is there a way to close it up or just rent with lease stating the renter has to maintain it? Thank you in Advance.

It is a liability and extra expense but still doable.  Make sure you dont have to be responsible for the additional expenses and upkeep for a pool.   

Make sure they are responsible renters and are willing to take care of the pool or factor in the price/cost of upkeep for that pool.   It can get a little expensive.  

Medium bannerfans 19631991  1 Gerald Harris, Vacant Land 54 | [email protected] | 704‑996‑6472 | http://land54.com

I view pools kind of like a garage. If you are in an area where everyone has a 2 car garage and your rental has a carport that's a down side. If everyone in your area has pools but your house doesn't it may be harder to rent. However if you are in the city and no one has a garage then no one expects one. Otherwise a pool could possibly be a turnoff to families with small children limiting your tenant pool. (pun intended) For the added liability and upkeep I would personally pass. 

Medium head icon colorRyan Dossey, Call Porter | http://Callporter.com | IN Agent # RB15001099

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you