First Investment Property Financing Question

4 Replies

So my wife and I (just married 3 months ago) are venturing into RE Investing and buying our first Rental Property. We think we found a winner, but we overlooked some things when doing our numbers. The first being putting down 25% instead of 20% for investment properties. The second is a lot of the places we requested Quotes from have been telling us there are no fixed rate programs for investment properties, or if they do have them they are far greater then current interest rates.

Does anyone have a contact or someone they can recommend in the Upstate New York (Binghamton Area) for Funding and/or insight on these matters above?

Get a different bank.  I live and work upstate (Watertown area), and there are banks/credit unions that offer 15 and 30 year fixed rate mortgages at similar or slightly higher than conventional rates for non-owner occupied 1-4 family investment properties.  25% down is the norm in my area.

I can't recommend any in your area, but I'm sure they exist.

I just sent you a message for someone that I have started working with. He may be able to help you. 

I'm not sure if they have branches in Binghamton, but a regional bank from Norwich, NY does my financing. They're called NBT Bank. Good size, but not too big to tie you up in red tape and BS. I'd suggest giving them a shout if they are in your neck of the woods. Good luck in whatever you find.

Should probably look for a mortgage broker with less lender overlays.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.