Hello BP'ers! I'm interested in a property that is being marketed on the MLS as a duplex, but doing my own research, the county records have it labeled as a SFR.
- If I purchase the property, what's involved in getting it legally qualified as a MF?
- With tenants already in place (and will be there through the purchase), what problems does this pose in getting the property qualified as a MF?
- Has anyone ran across this situation and made the process of making the property MF a part of the sellers responsibility as part of the negations (good / bad)?
If it varies by city / county, this is in Pensacola, FL and any local knowledge/experience is certainly appreciated.
I'm not quite sure what the code requirements are for Pensacola, FL, but I did find some information published by the city of Minneapolis. There are two links under the conversion section which would give you a good starting point. Hope this helps: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/mdr/interior/mdr_interior_converttoduplex
It's probably not a big deal. If the units have separate power meters, you can be assured the usage is legal. Here's a link to our zoning codes. Look at the zoning # on the tax assessor's site, then match up here. If you're really concerned, call the County Zoning folks, they can tell you over the phone. Let me know if any questions. https://www.municode.com/library/fl/pensacola/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=TITXIILADECO_CH12-2.ZODI
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing