Attention investors Don't be this guy.

102 Replies

Just got off the phone with another Realtor who showed one of my homes. Her clients gave me an offer that was 25% of the list price.

Please folks Don't be that guy. Show some respect for others & their time.  This poor lady had to waste an afternoon driving this schmuck around.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

I've had offers like that where you're asking $100K for a house and they offer $30K, or something equally stupid. I always counter to $3,000,000 with a non refundable deposit of $50K. It takes 30 seconds and lets the other agent and buyer both know what idiots they are.

Originally posted by @Rob K:

I've had offers like that where you're asking $100K for a house and they offer $30K, or something equally stupid. I always counter to $3,000,000 with a non refundable deposit of $50K. It takes 30 seconds and lets the other agent and buyer both know what idiots they are.

I dig it. I think im going to have to start utilizing that strategy.

216-661-6633

That's awesome.  :)

Originally posted by @James Wise:

One of these days he's going to discover BP

He will be one of the guys starting threads like this

"Why are Realtors so lazy, none of them answer the phone"

"Investor looking for a HUNGRY Realtor"

"Can't get Realtors to show me properties"

Ha! I hate those threads.

But my guru told me I would need to make 100 offers to find a deal, and that if my offer didn't embarrass me it was too high. This must be good advice, because it cost me my entire life savings of $1,287 and 26 cents, plus large cash advances on my credit cards.

@James Wise , I would contend the realtard wasted her own time.  If she doesn't have a way to screen (screen out) her clients that is her own fault.  Yes, the guy is a jerk but it should have been fairly easy to determine that without wasting much time.

Originally posted by @James Wise:

@David R. I think this thread needs some imagery

Thanks for the mention James.  Thanks to my imagery, I am currently on the voting system Leaderboard.  :-)

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!

http://youtu.be/bFEoMO0pc7k?t=4s

Whenever I see BS offers & inquiries, this song plays in my head.

Originally posted by @David Cheung:

Ain't Nobody Got Time for That!

http://youtu.be/bFEoMO0pc7k?t=4s

Is this for real?  A real estate investing forum dogging on someone for making a lowball offer???  Pretty sure thats what I do everyday.

Verbally counter back at $1000 higher than his offer.  Let him get all excited and have his agent write up a formal counter at the new price.  Then tell him you changed your mind, but you'll do it for $3000 more than that.  Let him have his agent write up a new counter.  Then tell him you changed your mind again.  See how many offers you can get him to write before he gets pissed and walks away...

My record is 3...

<------- is that guy. (and proud of it)

@J Scott 

you made me snort milk through my nose.

But listen, I'm an investor and not someone buying my forever home. I don't think I'd have the nerve to make such a low ball offer but the approach I used on a recent purchase was to go in a bit lower than I suppose the seller was hoping for. I was very respectful in explaining why I got to the number I did. I told them I totally understood that my offer was not their first choice but that I was offering all cash and closing in less than 30 days. Their apartment had just come on the market and I was sure they wanted to wait and see if better offers would come along, etc. Then I was patient and it took about 6 weeks but the guy saw the value in my offer and now I'm busting my *** to make sure that the closing happens. Should all be done in another week or so. 

@Pat Martin  @John H.  Are both of you licensed yourself? Writing your own offers?

I do not take issue with someone who's licensed shot gunning crazy offers all around town. I think it's prolly a waste of time but if you can pull in a deal every now and again more power to ya.

I take issue with this person wasting the time of his Realtor. Treating her as tho her time is worthless. 

216-661-6633

While that seems outrageous, it is kind of ironic that a lot of investors here on BP (and the Gurus) are always saying if you are not embarrassed by your offer, it is probably too high. I bet most investors on this forum make outrageous low ball offers all the time. Can't be offended when it happens to investors. As for the Realtor, we live and we learn. He/She contributed to their own waist of time.

Originally posted by @J Scott:

Verbally counter back at $1000 higher than his offer.  Let him get all excited and have his agent write up a formal counter at the new price.  Then tell him you changed your mind, but you'll do it for $3000 more than that.  Let him have his agent write up a new counter.  Then tell him you changed your mind again.  See how many offers you can get him to write before he gets pissed and walks away...

My record is 3...

While that is funny & I like we're your going with it. Just like Rob's comment I'm not offended by his ridiculous offer. It doesn't waste my time that's why I offer a co-broke

I don't blame the agent I feel for her & don't want to bust her chops b/c some knucklehead has told her he's a big time investor and now he's running her ragged until she realises he's a bum & he finds some other poor agent to abuse. 

216-661-6633
Originally posted by @Daren H.:

While that seems outrageous, it is kind of ironic that a lot of investors here on BP (and the Gurus) are always saying if you are not embarrassed by your offer, it is probably too high. I bet most investors on this forum make outrageous low ball offers all the time. Can't be offended when it happens to investors. As for the Realtor, we live and we learn. He/She contributed to their own waist of time.

Again. I don't have a problem with his offer. I have a problem with his lack of respect for Realtors. 

my thing is

If your writing offers that your "embarressed of" you should have your own license so you are not wasting other people's time.

216-661-6633

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you