4 Replies

Is there any way to access the MLS if I'm not a real estate agent?

Hi @Jack W. Wong ,

There are ways to access the MLS if you're not an agent. You can get a real estate associate login from an agent. In one of the local NY REI meetings I attended, the gentleman running the meeting mentioned that sometimes you can work a deal with an agent to get the assistant login if you offer to pay for part of their annual membership fee (it's a couple of hundred dollars for NY agents to have an account on MLS).

There is also a BP post:

Also a google search for "How to Get MLS Access Without a License" will turn up some results for you.

Hope this helps!

@Joshua Nudell  Thanks for the tip!

I see your from NY as well. Do you invest out of state or primarily in NY?

@Jack W. Wong   Yes, I currently live in Bellerose, Queens, but I purchased my first rental property in Pennsylvania in an area that I am familiar with and have relationships with people to manage the property while I'm not there.  The costs of getting started are also less than that of New York City, making the risks lower for rental property.  Also, in PA the laws allow landlords to deal with tenants more easily than in NYC.

@Joshua Nudell  Thanks for your input because I'm looking out of state for rental properties as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you