Looking for a duplex in wilmington/delco area

3 Replies

Hey everyone, I am looking for a duplex in my area. Are there any strategies that anyone suggests? I have a real estate agent (2 actually) that are looking for me and I also check sites like realtor.com and zillow regularly for listings. I am looking in the northern Wilmington, DE and Delaware County, PA area. A lot of properties that I am seeing are in bad areas, my girlfriend and I will be occupying one of the units so obviously she doesn't want to live in any bad areas and neither do I. If I do happen to see a property I would like to see, do I contact my agent or do I call the listing agent of the property? That may be a dumb question, I am new to bp and investing; I am very motivated to get started!

I like your strategy of buying a duplex and living in one side. I wish I had done this when I was younger, and I think it is a great approach to getting started in REI.

Since you are new to real estate, let your real estate agent guide you through the process this time. The seller pays the agent's commission, so it costs you nothing to make full use of your agent's expertise. 

Be patient and wait for the right deal to come along. It may seem like it will never happen, but it will.

What areas and price point are you looking at?  There are defiantly some safe areas in and around Wilmington that go for a good value.  I'd also look in Elsmere, DE.

Trulia's crime over lay is a good start for investigating the safety of an area.  I'd still walk the area and talk to a few people before you pull the trigger.

Thank you @Ron Averill  

@John Cimino  I am looking more so towards the PA border because I work in PA. My price range is about 140-150 in DE, in PA price range would be lower. I know Wilmington very well, most of the duplexes I've seen in that price range are in not so good areas. I will continue to look and I am also looking in Delco area as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.