Question for Craigslist Sellers & Wholesalers

5 Replies

Craigslist is one of the many sites I browse on a daily basis looking for potential deals.  Every day I come across properties in my search results that were clearly misposted to obtain more visibility.  The $110,000 house that shows up as $11,000 in the search results.  The price in the search results is actually the down payment. Putting the wrong zipcode that matches a strong market, but not the one your property is located.  Out of state vacation properties.  Buyers looking for leads.  The list goes on and on.

My question is does this type of marketing actually work for you?  I personally flag properties that are marketed this way, and have no desire to do business with people that use these tactics.  If you are willing to mislead me to see your property listing, then I assume you are willing to mislead me in all aspects of the potential deal.

To those of you that use CL (and other sites) properly, thank you for not wasting my time. 

I've also seen listings where they drop the zeros (i.e. $120,000 becomes $120...just so they get to the top of the list when you arrange from low price to high).

@Jim Viens  

Plus they pull in the people that are capping their search at $100,000. 

My thought is if their property could sell based solely on its own merits then they wouldn't have to resort to such tactics. 

I'm with you, any ad that I come across that is attempting to be deceptive gets flagged and there were even times where I've called the number in the ad and told them "I'll buy your $200 house today, can you send me over the paperwork". These people are foolish to not realize that they're wasting everyones time including theirs. Why would you want to trick someone who's only looking for a $50k house to look at your $200k listing? Like  you said their listing obviously cannot sell on it's own if they have to do these things.

@Chris K.  

I have been tempted to call but I haven't so far.  If there is a name, I always search BP to see if they are members. 

@Chris K.  

Here is a $38 house for you

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/reo/4702969045.html

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.