Properties near a cementary

23 Replies

Was looking at a property "on paper" and thought I found a great deal until I drove it via Google Streetview and found out a block away is a cementary.

Interestingly, the rent for comparable units farther away in similar neighborhoods are not higher.  I would think this has to impact the desirability and hence the rent but apparently not.  May be this is a non-issue for most people or is it?

Would an appraiser negatively adjust the value of a property if one can see a cementary when standing in the front yard?

Not a negative.  Quiet neighbors, right?

But seriously, not a negative.

Use Google "street view" For Colma,CA. Then follow "Hillside Blvd" "El Camino Real (Hi way 82) or search for Golden Gate National Cemetery then scan the neighborhoods. 

Mark Pedroza, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01858403)
1-415-786-6700

I had a house for probably 10 years that was near a cemetery.  Just down and across the street.  One of those old time cemeteries where it has those big standing stones etc.  The house was a cute house, always easy to rent.  And when I eventually sold it 10 years ago I got top dollar.  No problems at all.  But if I were you, I'd try to use it as a negative.  Maybe it would help get the price down.

I am going to check out a home that backs up to a funeral home. The home looks in great condition ( for its age 1930s) and it is right off the Main Street within walking to shopping. I'm going to drive around and get a feel fir the area and see if I can find some rentals to compare it to.

There is one in my area directly bordering a cemetery that has been on the market for over a year.  They listed it in August 2013, expired in August 2014, and put it back on the market a month later.  Not really in one of my desired areas so not sure if the lack of sale is due to the cemetery or if overpriced.

Check out the view from the deck.

Ok, I have always assumed proximity to a cementary being a huge negative especially with the zombie and vampire cultures nowadays, I mean if there is a zombie apocalypse the residents near cementaries will be first victims.

@Sam Leon  

When you are buying a home as an investor, the cemetery is a negative.  During the sale process it is a positive.

Plus, everyone knows the zombies are going to be man made, so the dead will probably stay dead :)

Originally posted by Account Closed:

There is one in my area directly bordering a cemetery that has been on the market for over a year.  They listed it in August 2013, expired in August 2014, and put it back on the market a month later.  Not really in one of my desired areas so not sure if the lack of sale is due to the cemetery or if overpriced.

Check out the view from the deck.

That is a bit different from the OP's situation, where the cemetery is a block away, and visible from the front yard (which I take to mean, "Not from the house itself.")  

I would imaging only the most superstitious of people would have a problem with a cemetery being a block away. Right up next to the patio though, as in Account Closed 's post would be a different story. It would be quite difficult to enjoy a coffee on an early morning when half of your view is nothing but gravestones. 

Originally posted by @Dylan Jennings :

I would imaging only the most superstitious of people would have a problem with a cemetery being a block away. Right up next to the patio though, as in Account Closed 's post would be a different story. It would be quite difficult to enjoy a coffee on an early morning when half of your view is nothing but gravestones. 

Especially when you have to hold your breath until you can't see the cemetery anymore, amiright?  I'd be dead before I finished the coffee.

Originally posted by @Dylan Jennings :

I wonder about that.

You hear stories of buyers backing away from homes with a recent death.  Kind of along the same line I am thinking.

Why is that?  Superstition?  Or may be they just don't want to get into something that could be a potential deterrent for renters and buyers when there are other homes farther away.  I mentioned the cementary casually to someone at work and the first word out of her mouth was "oh that's creepy".  That is the hard thing to gauge.  How many people will de-value a place like this?  5%? 20%?  Less than 1%?

In this case the arrow points to the cemetary in the first picture.  The second picture shows the view at the end of that street.

That is not an issue, renting or selling, it's a heck of a lot better than having some active commercial activity like a C-Store that draw kids to after school or late at night. That's more like green space, surely you can put up with the commotions on just one night a year, just have plenty of candy on hand! Booooooo! 

Proximity to a cemetery, no, directly bordering it, yes. I have seen many times homes that border a cemetery or are directly across from the cemetery which took much longer to close and you lower your buyers pool. Around the corer is not the same issue. Down the street and within view of the home could be a bit of a factor.

Keep in mind that you could lose a portion of the current buyer's pool or renter's pool and that is always a negative for you as an investor. Similar to other major factors affecting value such as main streets with traffic noise, under airport flight paths, train tracks behind, etc.

Simply be cautious and allow for a value slightly lower than the norm or rental values slightly lower than the norm and make your offer accordingly, this will keep you safe and if you have no negative affects from the cemetery, than great, you have even better value and or cash flow.

According to the MLS listing, the property with the deck overlooking the cemetery has an "Excellent Rental History"

Who you gonna call?

Ghostbusters

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

That is not an issue, renting or selling, it's a heck of a lot better than having some active commercial activity like a C-Store that draw kids to after school or late at night. That's more like green space, surely you can put up with the commotions on just one night a year, just have plenty of candy on hand! Booooooo! 

I dunno Bill, we had a property near an old retired cemetery and there was lots of late night teenage(?) activity ... we use to joke about the moaning coming from the graveyard.

1(506) 471-4126

Are the other houses in the neighborhood occupied by live people ?  If so , then there are people who dont care .

Funny, kids think it's a great place to park, undercover agents think it's a great place to meet informants, you'd think they would bump into each other out there!

Homeowners usually don't notice either one. :)

Originally posted by @Roy N. :
Originally posted by @Bill G.:

I dunno Bill, we had a property near an old retired cemetery and there was lots of late night teenage(?) activity ... we use to joke about the moaning coming from the graveyard.

The cemetery near (10+ blocks away) my childhood home was a teenage hangout. 

All jokes aside, I think the important aspect to take from the advice is that you may in fact have a reduced buyers pool/renter's pool and ultimately, that can negatively impact your investment so account for such reductions in your offer or move on, there are lots of other opportunities out there, why take on one with a potential negative!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.