What are the differences in the Bigger Pockets Two Books??

5 Replies

There are two books i'm looking at. One is 300+ pages the other is 200+ pages.

Does this book: "The Book on Flipping Houses: How to buy, rehab, and resell residential properties" (300+ pages) include everything in this book "The book on estimating rehab costs" ??

Both are written by Bigger Pockets. 

I'm looking to purchase a property. Rehab it and rent it out. Not interested in flipping. 

I want to know the costs and is it worth purchasing. 

Hi Steve,

I'm the author of the two books.  "The Book on Flipping Houses" is basically a step-by-step guide to flipping your first house (or for refining your process if you're already experienced).  One of the chapters in that book is on how to estimate rehab costs.

When I originally wrote the book, that particular chapter kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.  It ended up being 200+ pages, so I decided to break it out into a separate book altogether.  That book -- "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" -- lays out a methodology for inspecting a house, creating a Scope of Work (SOW) and then turning that SOW into a renovation estimate.

I included a summary of the second book in the estimating chapter of the first book.  So, the first book (The Book on Flipping Houses) has a less detailed summary of creating an SOW and estimating rehab costs than the second book (The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs) which is all about that topic.

You can buy the books together as a package here on BiggerPockets or you can purchase them separately on Amazon.com.  They are about the same price for the paperback books, but if you purchase on BP, you can purchase just the eBooks for a discount.

Any questions, let me know!

I have no interest in flipping houses, but it seems like the second book could still be useful for buy and hold types like me, at least when buying a new house to rent out.  What do y'all think?

Originally posted by @Mike Hurney :

@Steve Candor Looks like the 2nd book got him a girlfriend;-)

Had I spent any longer writing them, the wife would have left me and I'd be looking for a girlfriend!

Andre - I'll let other comment on the quality of the content (I'm not here to promote the book), but in terms of the content itself, yes, it is geared towards investors doing renovations on any types of properties, whether they be flips or rentals.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.