Foreclosure Addendum doesn't allow extra funds?

7 Replies

Anyone run across this? I'm purchasing a foreclosure, but ran across this paragraph in the addendum. 

So, how do i get additional funds for renovations?

I hope you can read the small print!!

That has nothing to do with borrowing additional money for renovations.  If you are financing, AND getting a seller credit toward closing costs, it simply says the seller won't credit you (give back) more money than you've put into the closing costs.

Thanks, @Wayne Brooks ! I suppose i was reading too much into it. Thanks again :)

Hi, that has nothing to do with funds being received by another lender, which won't be on that transaction, what they are talking about is credits back to a buyer that constitutes less in the deal than as contracted, you are not to be walking away with cash after settlement. Your purchase will be closed first, then if you're getting a rehab loan, that is a subsequent transaction in another settlement.

Don't know the seller, but your lender could disburse as purchase money if the lender cleared it with the seller providing docs to the nature of the loan, they may not want to do that. They want to reduce cash out purchases under fraudulent circumstances.

I'd just suggest close the transaction and then close with the lender with your note and deed of trust, If the construction lender needs title coverage, ask the title company to run it off the same commitment. It's two separate transactions. :)

Thanks, @Bill G. ! Ah see, our purchase contract is for 90k, but our lender is willing to loan us 100k to cover rehab costs. That's where my confusion lies. It wasn't going to be a separate transaction. 

You should be able to secure the note for up to $99k. The foreclosure deed has a restriction for 110% of purchase price for the first 90 days.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.