When Buying Tenant Occupied Property

4 Replies

From reading here, it's clear that marketing to absentee owners is a staple for many investors. I have to assume that many of those properties will have tenants currently in place.

When this is indeed the case:

1. Do you get to inspect the inside of the property before making an offer?

2. Do the tenants get to stay in the property for the remainder of their lease agreement with the previous landlord?

If the answer to question 2 is yes, then I have to assume that fixing and flipping these properties is out of the question, right?

Please advise. 

@Brandon G.  

Yes, I fully inspect a tenant occupied property before closing a deal and yes, the existing lease will transfer to you and you have to honor it.  That said, I suppose you can try to buy out the tenant's lease if you want to fix and flip the property.

1. Yes, hopefully you want to see what you're going to be dealing with.

2. Yes, if the tenants have more than a MTM lease then you have to honor it and that would kill the idea of a fix and flip.

Dawn Anastasi, Core Properties, LLC | http://www.coreprop.biz | Podcast Guest on Show #29

1) I have heard a number of people say they can't get in before making an offer that is accepted.  For this reason I think you would want to have some contingency clauses in the contract letting you out or opening it to renegotiation based on inspection of the insides before closing.

2) You have to honor any remaining time on the current lease.  I would want to make sure you had copies of all current leases before closing.  Also try to get the security deposit money since you will be required to return it to the tenants when they leave and since you are taking over after they have moved in it will be hard to base damages on anything but the condition the units are in when you bought it unless there are some good documentation that the seller provides you and that can still be tricky if they fight.  If you really want to fix and flip, build a thousand or so into your budget and see if you can do a cash for keys if they agree to move early.

Thanks for the info. That kind of throws a wrench in what I was planning to do. I was planning to market to absentee owners looking for flips. What is a flipper to do?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you