Bats in the Attic

4 Replies

I am just about to pull the trigger on my first investment property. Everything is great so far except for the fact that they used to have bats in the attic. It seems they have taken care of it and tenants say it hasn't been a problem since. Although my research tells me they will always return to they're old roosts. Has anyone out there had an issue with bats? Am I asking for trouble purchasing this property? The price is right and I feel good about everything else but this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I do not think you are asking for trouble. I grew up in a house where we had to get rid of around 27 bats in our house. Our solution, was to seal up the house asap. Then, we used a net of any kind with small holes. Fine fishing nets might work, bats seem to get caught in them and then you can call animal control to come and get them humanely. We used a lot of spray foam insulation and caulk. I would try the nets and have someone seal up the place as they (what I have heard) can enter a space under a quarter of an inch wide. I wish I could give you a better solution but this is what worked for us! Bottom line go with your gut instinct!:)

We used to have bats in my house growing up I remember we harassed them for a few months and then they disappeared. Never saw them again.  I would not let a good deal slip because of these Little critters. 

Josh 

Originally posted by @Joshua D. :

We used to have bats in my house growing up I remember we harassed them for a few months and then they disappeared. Never saw them again.  I would not let a good deal slip because of these Little critters. 

Josh 

How did you harass them? Did you send in the Cat Woman? :-)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here