Poor Inspection

4 Replies

Hello BP,

I recently purchased a duplex as an owner occupier. On my first night at the duplex I took a shower, probably 10 mins, and my kitchen was flooded (my bathroom is right above my kitchen). It was a significant amount of water. I beleive that the inspector should have caught this issue and should be liable for my repair costs. Anyone know if I have a chance at going after the inspector for negligence on this item...... He also didn't inform me that the the gas dryers weren't hooked up or that the property needed 6 GFCI outlets installed.

Almost certainly you signed waivers of liability that absolve the inspector of any responsibility.  I've largely given up on using inspectors just because of this sort of thing.  

With my experience with inspectors - if they cannot see the problem (i.e. inside the wall, under the floor, etc) then they do not inspect it.  sound like this issue may have been hidden.  As Jon said I am sure that they are waivered off for the issue.  Best of luck but I think you will need to fix the issue yourself.

Originally posted by @Jon Loca :

Hello BP,

I recently purchased a duplex as an owner occupier. On my first night at the duplex I took a shower, probably 10 mins, and my kitchen was flooded (my bathroom is right above my kitchen). It was a significant amount of water. I beleive that the inspector should have caught this issue and should be liable for my repair costs. Anyone know if I have a chance at going after the inspector for negligence on this item...... He also didn't inform me that the the gas dryers weren't hooked up or that the property needed 6 GFCI outlets installed.

This should have been caught by a competent inspector.  My inspector runs water in the house (basement, bathrooms, kitchen) to make sure things work and there are no leaks.

GFCI outlets are something visible to the naked eye so that definitely should have been caught.

Looks like you hired a hack inspector.  Never use that inspector again and if you got them from Angie's List, you can leave a bad rating to warn other people.

Thank you all very much for your input. One important lesson I just learned is never put too much faith in an inspector. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.