Hold or Flip?

4 Replies

I am sure this site is full of answers regarding this question, but I need a little advice.

I just picked up my fourth investment property.  Once repairs are complete, I will have 50-65K equity.  I am quite excited about that.

I now have four mortgages, including my private home, totaling $315,000.  On a good day, all of my properties, including my private home, are worth about $600,000.

I am considering selling one of my primary home.  The problem is, I will lose one home just for the sake of having a home paid off.

I am losing thousands of dollars each year to interest payments. Not too sure when to say enough debt is enough and stop buying homes. :)

@Shaun Hunt  Can you clarify?  Debt is okay as long as it is making you money and not causing hair loss. 

I agree with @Cal C. What's the rate of return on your investment properties, Shaun?  If you're making... 8% on your investment and your loans are costing 4% then don't pay-off your debt.  Keep replicating (borrow low, invest high) as much as you can. 

To Clarify:

Duplex, both sides Owned about three years. I owe $73,000, get $1600 in rent, pay about $600 in mortgage, WSG Duplex is worth about $160K

SFH #1 Owned about two years. I owe $53,000, get $850 in rent and pay about $500 in mortgage, WSG Home is worth about $140K

SFH#2 Acquired 11/19/14 (Yesterday), so I want to avoid short term hold tax if any. Paid 98K owe 79K, monthly payments $620, tenants move in on Friday at $1,100/month. Home could be worth $150-165K

My home: worth $140ish 1st mortgage I owe $73K, just took a HELOC to purchase last property, I owe $30 on that.

To me that doesn't seem like much cash flow.  However, since you have so much equity, either there are some great deals there and/or there has been some serious price appreciation since you bought.  

If it was me, depending on the tax situation, I'd probably flip this house, especially if I could find other similar deals.  Then I'd rinse and repeat.  Yes, you are going to pay a lot more in taxes, but you are going to be making more money that way.  Pretty soon you could be buying rental properties off the cash you make flipping.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you