Giving contractor a % of profit?

5 Replies

I've always used contractors here and there and paid up front. But has anyone ever gave their contractor a % of profit after the property has sold? Like, paying for the material then once the house sells give your contractor a %?

I am meeting with my cousin to sorta partner up. I purchase and he renovates, but I"m thinking he wants me to purchase the material ?

If you have done this before please comment. I don't know really know where to start...

Is there a formula for this? 

The formula is don't. Using this setup means your contractor has a de-facto partnership with you. If you are going to "partner" with a contractor, spell out ALL the details in a formal agreement.

@Chris Martin  

WOW! I went to a seminar not long ago and they actually suggested that. But I see your point!

Sounds like a good fit for a JV Agreement.

In fact, I just visited with a high end remodeler/builder here in Austin whose standard Gen. Contractor Agreement (not a JV agreement) does a version of this strategy in each of his projects. Pays out weekly draws but also pays 5% to 20% on the back end because this obviously keeps the contractor motivated to do quality work from beginning through the punch list.

Guy Gimenez

?

The contractor doesn't control the market. If the property doesn't sell, you still are out a percentage of the equity. It is 12/10/14.  An if the property sells in... April... does the GC pay for the holding cost?

Contracts where a GC puts in % of sales price are a sure fire way to lose money, IMO, because the GC can't control the sale and isn't responsible for your at risk capital and potential loss. Their bonus (% of sale) should be based on a sale above listed price or other tangible, measurable benefit to the owner.

@Chris Martin  good point!  and @Guy Gimenez  I see your point as well! Everything moves on GREEN!  I use this strategy with my other businesses as well. I feel it helps motivate the contractors to help you find buyers for your properties as well. Thanks Guys!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.