Business strategy

8 Replies

New member to BiggerPockets, and looking for some overall advice on how to get started.  A little background:  I am 47, and just recently retired.  I have had several rental units over the years, and am somewhat experienced in that component of RE investing.  I have also flipped 4 houses in 2014.  So, some experience there as well.  I squeezed this "part time" activity in around my 60-70 work weeks.  Now that I am free of that commitment, I am making RE my full time career.  Obviously, I have some options and my thoughts right now are as follows:

1. Continue to rehab and flip SFH at the rate of 1 per quarter, while I learn more and get trained on the other options in RE investing. Move that number to 2 per quarter in 2016.

2.  Start to pick up some buy & hold rental properties for that passive monthly income that is crucial in between the big flip pay days.  

3.  Once I get more knowledgeable on the subject, start wholesaling deals.  Time frame:  9 to 12 months from now (4th Q, 2015)

4.  Ditto for lease options/buy to own.  Get trained and comfortable, then ease myself into this.  Time frame: an additional 9-12 months. (4th Q, 2016)

I would appreciate any comments, feedback, anecdotes or general advice on whether this seems to be a practical strategy moving forward.

Thanks!

@Joe Hughes 

I personally love buy and holds. Passive income is (in my opinion) simply the best. Having money in your pocket every month is a great feeling. Congratulations on retiring! 

Troy

Congrats on being able to quit the day job at 47.  That's awesome.  I think it sounds like a solid plan but it seems like if you were doing 4 flips while working it seems like you could have more bandwidth, so why not challenge yourself a little more?

Also, how are you find your flips?

Keep doing the flips until you realize you can make as much with a year or two in rents to match the profit on the flips.

Start a rental empire of cheap houses.

How do you flip houses working 60-70 hours a week? 

Welcome @Joe Hughes . Plan looks good and even better that you wrote it down!

Congrats on going it on your own! As @Chris C.  asked, I would love to hear how you pulled of 4 flips a year working similar hours as I do. I'm hoping to buy and hold four this coming year with 60-70hr work weeks and weekends with my kids. Flipping a home is a stretch goal for me with this schedule. 

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys !  It is much appreciated and gives me some clarity on my plan going forward.

To answer some questions posted:

Where do I find flips to buy? It's been all auctions so far. 2 have been from a Sheriff's Auction and 2 have been from Auction.com. I just bought three more properties this week alone, and 2 of them have been from Auction.com and 1 was a FSBO. The 2 auction properties will be rehab and flip, and the FSBO is a Tri-plex that I am going to hold onto as a rental.

How did I find time to flip houses will working 60-70 hours per week?

The simple answer is that I was partners with my brother in a family-owned business and I had a lot of flexibility.  Yes, I worked VERY hard and VERY long, but if I needed to go to an auction at the courthouse, I was the owner and I could do that.  Also, the time spent working was rarely behind a desk.  I was in the field a lot.

Thanks again for the great advice !!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here