Renting the finished half of a duplex

4 Replies

How do you all advertise a house-hack property for rent?  What do you call it?  Say it's a duplex - do you say:  "house for rent"?  "apartment for rent"?  "duplex for rent"? <g>

And what about a duplex that has one part at 100% - with the other part still-under-construction?

I have a far-away property which is exactly that way and and I suspect that the property management company is more or less scaring people away from renting the finished half.

stephen

----------

I'd call it, "Apartment for Rent".  How will you finish the other side without disturbing the people next door?

Disturbing them in what way?  There is a block wall between the front unit and the back unit.  Or do you mean 'disturbing' by a service / workman truck being parked in the driveway?  Which is double wide, by the way.  

Or so you mean 'disturbing' by sawing lumber and so forth?  If so;  my basic thought would be that most people all work at the same time - so the workmen would be there primarily while the tenant was away at work.  

And suppose it was the house next door that was being rehabbed instead?  That would only be 15 or 20 feet away and and no matter how disturbing it was - nothing could be done to stop it.

stephen
-----------

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

I'd call it, "Apartment for Rent".  How will you finish the other side without disturbing the people next door?

@Stephen S.  I obviously have no idea of the particular set up. I was just assuming/wondering that it might be noisy and dusty to live in a duplex with the other side being a "construction" site.  I meant no offense. 

Not al all - none taken.  I appreciate your input.  I was just trying to picture what you pictured when you wrote  "rehab work might disturb Tenant One".  The idea hadn't occurred to me before you mentioned it.  

stephen
-----------

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Stephen S. I obviously have no idea of the particular set up. I was just assuming/wondering that it might be noisy and dusty to live in a duplex with the other side being a "construction" site.  I meant no offense. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you