Dallas Area neighborhood/real estate question

Dallas Area neighborhood/real estate question

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes

I ETS from the military either later this year or next year. I am looking to relocate to the Dallas area. I am looking for a middle class/upper middle class neighborhood. Looking for a house in the 150-225k range. I am looking for a primary residence. Annual household income would be around 150k. Perfer something close to UT Dallas or within a 20 or 30 minute drive. I know nothing about the city and just trying to find some people that are familiar with it.

0Reply
9 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2014 · 202 posts · 66 votes
    11y
    Hello Shawn Dandridge thank you for your service! I believe the city of Richardson or Plano would both have the qualities you're looking for. They are both extremely sought after because of the great public schools systems. Hope that helps.
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Shawn Dandridge 

    The area around UT Dallas is Richardson, and that's my wheelhouse!  My partner actually lives directly across Campbell Road from UT D.  You could throw a rock from her back yard and hit the campus. 

    The criteria you provided will work really well for some very desirable areas of Richardson, which has an excellent school district.  There are 3 elementary schools in Richardson that are the best-of-the-best.  They all feed in to JJ Pearce High School.  Those elementary schools provide private school quality educations with public school prices. 

    At the price point you mentioned I would suggest focusing on houses in the Mohawk and Canyon Creek feeder areas, as Brentfield may be above your price point.  You should be able to acquire a 3/2/2 house at that price.  However, it may require modest updating.  If you don't have children or are willing to take slightly lesser schools (note that Richardson is an A+ district, so lesser schools in Richardson ISD are still better than the best schools in the Dallas ISD), there are other areas in close proximity where you can get more house for less money.

    I'd be happy to provide additional details and help in any way I can, when you are ready to begin your search.  Also, I have a realtor in the Richardson area who is very investor friendly and provides commission discounts to veterans.  (Thank you for your service!)

    Hattie

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Hattie,

    Thanks for the detailed response. I will most likely take a visit of the city in April and really begin the house hunt after the summer. Most of the houses I've seen will require some updating but has good bones. Thanks for information and I would love to talk with your realtor.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Another twist to the story. Apparently my wife will be attending law school at Texas A&M which is in Fort Worth. The compromise seems to be living in Arlington. Is it a "real" city? What I mean by this is not in the middle of nowhere and country. I will visiting in April.

  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    @Shawn Dandridge  There is absolutely no difference between Dallas, Fort Worth or Arlington.  (Plus a few others)

  • Contractor · Temple, TX · Member since 2014 · 379 posts · 164 votes
    11y

    By which I mean, rural/metro classification.  Obviously, neighborhoods vary

  • Billy ConesPro Member
    Harker Heights, TX · Member since 2014 · 98 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Arlington has an Improv Comedy venue, Six Flags, Texas Rangers, AT&T stadium (home of the Cowboys), a Dave & Busters and lots of beautiful communities/neighborhoods. 

    Welcome to Texas @Shawn Dandridge 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Thanks Billy. I haven't moved there yet. Won't be until later this year or early 2016. I was just doing some reading and it doesn't sound like a bad city at all. I'm excited to check it out. I am loving all the veteran friendly perks of TX already!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.