Investing in mobile home

3 Replies

Hi BP friends,

I am a relatively new investor in MA. Given the house prices in MA, I don't see myself scaling too much, not very fast at least. While reading another post in BP forums, I stumbled across the idea of investing in mobile homes. I started looking on zillow, and to my surprise, I see several of 2BR listed for low 30K's (as compared to $200K for a triplex).

I am looking for buy, rent and hold and am not counting on appreciation. So, my question is - what are the things I should consider in whether it's wise to invest in a multifamily? From the little reading I did, its clear that the mobile homes depreciate over time. But if I can have a positive cashflow, does it really matter? What am I missing?

thanks. Vicky 

@Vikas Ahuja  if properly done Mobile homes around us can throw off as much cash flow (or more) than a small house and the entrance point is cheaper. I like to rent mobile homes, but have a standard, the biggest is to sheet over the floors with plywood. Maintenance can be expensive on a MH and hard to work on when occupied because its so small so I front end all the maintenance.

we do have a Mobile Home forum on here. You might want to check it out

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you