Quitclaim good or bad?

1 Reply

I know it's very common to buy a property in your own name and then transfer it into your LLC through a quitclaim deed. But this also means that the title of the property technically changes hands - even though it's your own LLC. So the bank would theoretically have the right to call the loan due since it triggers the due on sale clause. Is this something I should worry about or just assume the bank won't do that?

Hi Petar, I know exactly what you're talking about and am dealing with that now. We just finished refinancing a rental property that is controlled by an LLC. To get around the issue you mentioned, we used a land trust. In other words, we financed in our own name (as the bank requires), then used a trust to transfer the "ownership" of the property to the LLC.

I'm not an expert on how all this works, but it's enabled us to avoid any issues with due-on-sale clauses. If you like, I can get you in touch with the attorney that set up the trust and LLC for us - they are really great to work with and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend them to you.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.