what us the best way to pitch owner financing on a property listed on the mls?

3 Replies

So to make a long story short I'm looking at a 17 unit property on the MLS for right under 200k and I was wondering what is the best way to pitch to the real estate agent to ask the seller to owner finance the property? I would really appreciate the input since I'm new to this.

Put together your pitch and e-mail them. 

The key is that many Realtors aren't that familiar with owner financing so they will need to be able to explain it to their sellers to gauge their interest. If you can detail it out in an e-mail they will have better information to be able to present to their seller.

Show enough down that pays the commissions and settlement costs!

Before I pitch an offer on a listed property, I find out how long they owned it and guess at what they paid from their filings. Then, knowing or having an idea of what a basis might be and what their depreciation to recapture, I speak to the listing agent. At that point I ask the agent if they will consider financing and point out the tax advantage of deferring the gains on the sale, that there would be a loan servicer to manage the note and payments for them and enough cash down to feed them for awhile (LOL).

Before I start jumping through hoops on due diligence or finding an amount to offer, I want this out of the way. You'll find sellers that can't finance, so if that's all you can do you're wasting your time and everyone else's.    

Commercial owners are accustom to seller financing, they know cash offers are discounted and that conventional financing can be difficult, they are business people, so approach them as such.

Do your best to present the offer to the owner with the listing agent. That is the time to explain financing and your ability to pay and management abilities. Point out the safeguards for them and aspects of servicing the loan by a professional.

Good luck :)

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you