Upsate NY Real Estate Questions

1 Reply

I am have finally decided to take the first steps in real estate investing and am looking for some advice / tips in terms of areas to focus on please (or anything else a seasoned investor may offer).  I am based in northern NJ, but primarily looking at areas in upstate and western NY (specifically, Buffalo, Ithaca, Albany and Rochester).  Specifically, I am looking to invest in 2 - 4 unit homes, in the less than 400k price range.  I am mainly looking for cash flow, appreciation would also be great, but not the main focus.

So my questions are:

1) Would anyone who has had success in any of the NY state markets have time to chat to discuss their experiences in their respective market?
2) What kind of cap-rates/COC returns have experienced/successful investors in these markets expereiced?
3) Are there any contacts in these markets who are knoledgeable and I should reach out?

Thank you so much to anyone gracious enough to offer their time and help!

@Philip Tretola ,

I live in Ithaca and we are different (in more ways than one). We have a vacancy rate of 0.8% and our home values have increased 40% in the past 10 years, both of those numbers are actually almost unheard of. 

I'm not sure if you have moved forward in your adventure in RE yet but I just thought I would reach out.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.