Are Zillow estimates reliable?

6 Replies

Hey everyone, I'm planning on doing contract assignments for properties out of state. I live in NYC and the prices here are incredible compared to those out of state. Since I currently cannot afford a professional appraisal I was wondering if I can rely on Zillow estimates for market values. 

I would say no. Checking recent sales of similar properties within a few blocks will give you a much better idea.

A property that I just had professionally appraised at $50k shows up as $154k on Zillow

@Chris K.  Okay I will do that, thank you for the advice. I have never done a real estate deal ever, where can I get a real estate contract?

Zillow estimates are WAY off.  I have found that even the monthly rental estimates are low by over $100.

Originally posted by @Gilbert Velez :

@Chris K. Okay I will do that, thank you for the advice. I have never done a real estate deal ever, where can I get a real estate contract?

You can find one that is used by your local board of realtors or have a lawyer draft one up for you. I just use my local realtors but even then you need to read thru it and understand the whole thing.

Originally posted by @Chris K. :
Originally posted by @Gilbert Velez:

@Chris K. Okay I will do that, thank you for the advice. I have never done a real estate deal ever, where can I get a real estate contract?

You can find one that is used by your local board of realtors or have a lawyer draft one up for you. I just use my local realtors but even then you need to read thru it and understand the whole thing.

Can I use a local realtor's real estate contract out of state?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you