Removing the uncertainty on "days on market"

1 Reply

An obvious big "gotcha" is an unexpectedly long time before a buyer comes along, taking a huge chunk from profit potential.   Initial asking price is of course a major controlling factor.  I'm looking for some techniques that have been used successfully to minimize the likelihood of this happening.  Currently, I am using sources like Zillow to simply count listings, sales and rents over various time periods (e.g. 2 months).  The idea here is to get a handle on supply and demand in the target area over the past x months.  Any input would be much appreciated.  I tend to work top-down.  I don't won't to spend time in an area finding that great buy that won't move because of economic or other factors.  Too bad we don't have a resource that provides a macro economic comparison or ranking by zip code on such things as house sale turn-over, prices, trends, job growth, population growth and inventory levels for things like lots, new homes, etc.

This sounds like it might have some of what you're looking for(not sure what your  area is, I used mine):  http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Corvallis-Oregon/

It also might be worth your time to get in touch with a local real estate agent. My office sends out numbers every month about listings in various price ranges, their comparison to the month prior and 1 year prior, average time on market, etc. They'll be in a better position to give you specifics for inventory for your area. 

Hope that helps some, 

Shawn 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.