Multi family as first purchase

2 Replies

Hi

Am yet to purchase a property but looking to buy somewhere in LA next year as a first home (and partial investment). I've looked into the idea of multi family and renting the other one out to eat into the mortgage and save some capital to reinvest. I believe you can get FHA and 203k loans for these properties- would like some feedback as to if this is a good idea?

Also re unpermitted granny flats etc - what are the drawbacks and is it difficult to convert to get a permit?

Thanks

I am in the same position as you and currently looking for a multi family to owner occupy. I am looking to use a FHA loan if the property is in good condition or a 203k loan if the property is in distress (most likely this route). I think these loans are a great opportunity for a new investor considering the 3.5% down payment.

Without a fortune saved up to invest in real estate, buying a multi using a 203k looks to be my best plan. 

@Michael White  

@Kyle Gregg  

starting out with a multi-family residence owner occupied is a great way to go with a low down payment, and assistance with the mortgage payments. You will get a hands on experience dealing with tenants. 

Jerry Padilla, Lender in NY (#NMLS 1084877)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.