Multi family as first purchase

2 Replies

Hi

Am yet to purchase a property but looking to buy somewhere in LA next year as a first home (and partial investment). I've looked into the idea of multi family and renting the other one out to eat into the mortgage and save some capital to reinvest. I believe you can get FHA and 203k loans for these properties- would like some feedback as to if this is a good idea?

Also re unpermitted granny flats etc - what are the drawbacks and is it difficult to convert to get a permit?

Thanks

I am in the same position as you and currently looking for a multi family to owner occupy. I am looking to use a FHA loan if the property is in good condition or a 203k loan if the property is in distress (most likely this route). I think these loans are a great opportunity for a new investor considering the 3.5% down payment.

Without a fortune saved up to invest in real estate, buying a multi using a 203k looks to be my best plan. 

@Michael White  

@Kyle Gregg  

starting out with a multi-family residence owner occupied is a great way to go with a low down payment, and assistance with the mortgage payments. You will get a hands on experience dealing with tenants. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here