Fannie Mae, Smelling a Rat

6 Replies

For some reason nobody seems to be able to get the  right combo for the lock box on a property I want to inspect. It's a particularly desirable property. I think somebody is playing a game.

Anybody know how I should proceed? Or should I just document everything, wait until somebody steals it, and then file a lawsuit?

@Joe Cummings

File a lawsuit for what ? No one has a absolute right to view a property 

If it's a FNMA why not make a offer and then see the property.  You will have 10 days from the time you offer is accepted to terminate 

Well, that would be an option...if you want to completely waste your time and your money.  There can be a lot of miscommunication with these things.  Of course, there can be some games too (which you could Never possibly prove).  Are you dealing with the listing agent, or a buyer's agent.  If a buyer's agent, what is their exact response from the listing agent.  Is it still in the first look period?  A complaint to Fannie might get some attention.

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

Well, that would be an option...if you want to completely waste your time and your money.  There can be a lot of miscommunication with these things.  Of course, there can be some games too (which you could Never possibly prove).  Are you dealing with the listing agent, or a buyer's agent.  If a buyer's agent, what is their exact response from the listing agent.  Is it still in the first look period?  A complaint to Fannie might get some attention.

Dealing with a buyers agent. As far as I know the response from the listing agent is slow response and another wrong lock box code. And yes this one is still in first look.

Persistence then, or submit an offer, which will have an inspection. 

What kind of lock is on this place? Sometimes REO locks use identical keys from one to the next because the property preservation guys / field service guys have it easier that way ...

I have heard of mechanical lock boxes being switched or keys removed so later viewers can't get in. It's unethical of course (and extremely rude manners) but a few people like that are out there. Of course, it's also possible that the listing broker is just incredibly disorganized and doesn't have the right code/box recorded- in which case no one is getting in. If it's potentially that good a property I think the above advice to put in a "best guess" offer with an inspection contingency might be your best bet.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here