Group Home in Michigan

6 Replies

Does anyone out there have any information about a semi-independent adult foster care facility. Looking for answers regarding licensing, inspections, staffing, costs/fees, state/federal requirements and can an investor make this kind of deal work?

@Donna Thomas , Eric Tomei and Mike Simmons are local investors who had experience with a facility like this. I see Mike on the BP forums fairly frequently. I don't recall seeing Eric here. If you need phone numbers for either send me an e-mail outside of BP or give me a call.

HI Donna.  I have been involved with facilities such as this.  I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.  You can email me directly at: [email protected]

I would really like to get in on this discussion if we can have it made public, or even add me on the email conversation. 

My wife is a special ed teacher and one of her fellow teachers wants to start a 'group home' for 3 over 18 mentally impaired 'students'.  I don't know that a 'commercial' environment would be required, but the preliminary discussion with the person who wants to run this, is that there would always be a nurse or some member of staff there, I would just be the landlord so just the facilitator of the 'business'.  I would get rent from the state, much like section 8 (a premium rent).  

I have not verified any of this but if I can take a house I'd normally get 1000 for and get 14-1600 for 3 disabled mentally impaired adults that need assistance 24/7, then I would definitely be interested in this.  I'm sure there are state inspections like section 8 has, but maybe a different kind of inspection.  Per my wife, I wouldn't need wheelchair ramps or anything since the students selected to stay there would not need that kind of help, but I also don't know that the 'inspection' distinguishes between the two.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all,

While I have no experience in Michigan, I do have extensive experience in group living and program based housing. If you'd like another opinion, feel free to email me at [email protected]

My first post, but was wondering if we could bump this thread. I am interested in learning more and building a real estate program for this in the Metro Detroit Area.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you