How do I get that house across the street?

4 Replies

Facts:  There is a home across the street from me that has been abandon.  Up until this past Saturday it has had a tree through the roof for the past month.  This past Saturday some men contracted by a bank removed the tree and put a tarp on the roof.  Working through an agent friend I have been able to determine that it is owned by an estate and has recent if not multiple mortgage's.

Guesses:  The house has no equity and may be under water.  Because it is not attached to any living persons credit, the heirs have no incentive or interest in doing anything with it and will let it go into foreclosure.  Even helping to arrange a short sale would only mean work with no possible reward and only incur lawyer fees. 

Questions:  Is there any leverage to incentivize a deal on there part?  Is there a way to find out what bank(s) hold(s) the note(s)?  If I can find the bank is there a way to work with them to get the house without the owner (I'm thinking after they foreclose but before they put it up)?

Thank you all!

If the heirs are not willing to do the necessary steps to gain authority, then cooperate with the short sale, there is nothing you can until the FC auction. Then, you can either buy it at the auction, or after it's listed as a REO if the bank gets it back. Any other approach is fruitless.

If the bank is fixing it, I would guess they are going to take it over soon.

There should be a deed recorded at the county which you can look up.  That will give you the bank's name.  You might be able to make a contact there and see what the story is and if they would consider an offer from you.

First, go to Dallas CAD to get the legal description and then search the county clerk public records for the deed.

Thank you both for your comments.

Neil: I've found the property on the DCAD website, but I'm still trying to navigate the County Clerk site.  I can't seem to find the correct section... It's cool that foreclosure notices are there.  I with I could filter them, but still seems like it could be useful.  

Originally posted by @Sean Freebairn :

Thank you both for your comments.

Neil: I've found the property on the DCAD website, but I'm still trying to navigate the County Clerk site.  I can't seem to find the correct section... It's cool that foreclosure notices are there.  I with I could filter them, but still seems like it could be useful.  

The deed records are here: https://roamdallaspropertyrecords.com/  Once you type in the person's name (last name first) click preview image and you can see the first page of the document free.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you