Baltimore Sex Offenders

4 Replies

....now that I've got your attention, no, I'm not looking to make new friends. Well, not the sex offender kind. :-)

I'm considering purchasing a home in a supposedly up and coming area in Baltimore (I say supposedly since I'm still learning the market) and when I run crime reports for the area, I come back with very little except for a high number of sex offenders in the immediate neighborhood. Something along the lines of 10-15 within a 5 block radius. Given the low criminal activity of other sorts, would this deter anyone from buying in this area?

I would take those reports with a huge grain of salt. If you mapped out where felons/ex-cons lived in the US you'd be shocked. I would concern myself more with the actual crime committed.

Solid point.  I guess my only concern was that if I decide to rent to a family, I wonder how many people that might scare off.  Anybody been in a similar situation?

Are we required to tell them that a sex offender lives in the area? If we are, then oops.... 

There are tons of nice neighborhoods with registered offenders living in or nearby. I wouldn't worry much about that.

@Nicole W. I don't know about having to disclose that info but since it's public info, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to find.  I know I'd research an area before moving there but I might be giving people too much credit.  Ha

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.