Receiving a house as a gift

Receiving a house as a gift

Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Background story:

My parent's went though a divorce and my mom owns the house. She doesn't want it any longer and wants to give it to me. She hasn't lived at the house for two years. Unfortunately, my dad is house squatting and wont leave. He doesn't provide any help financially.

Course of action:

She is afraid to kick him out for some odd reason. Since she doesn't want to remove him I thought that she should put the house under my name and I'll become the owner and evict him.

Conclusion:

What would be the best course of action to transfer the title into my name in the state of Washington. In addition, what would the best way to remove him from the property without him knowing it was me? Could I hire someone to post a notice? The reason being is I don't want any backlash going back to my mother because my dad has violent tendencies and I want to solve this in the most civil way possible. 

Thank you very much,

Ronald

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Jean BolgerPro Member
Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Hey @Ronald Luangsisongkham 

 that is one awkward  position to be in. I actually think something akin to @Aaron Ramm 's suggestion might be the best course of action for you, in that selling the property would certainly be the best way to separate you and/or your mom from the eviction proceedings. You and your mom would get money out of the deal and could move on to another life stage without the complications of the house/dad dynamic. Of course if your dad is one of those violent types that looks for confrontation and is bearing a grudge then there is no guarantee they he won't end up blaming you anyway. I do  hope that's not the case, and I hope you can find a peaceful and productive settlement to this for you and your family.

 It's easy enough, from a practical basis, for your mom to give you the house- she would just sign a quit claim deed (I'm guessing from your description there is no mortgage on it at this point- if there is that would have to be dealt with separately by either assuming the current mortgage or getting a new one)

good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    I dont want to be in your shoes .  You could hand it off to a lawyer . But he will still figure it out .

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 615 posts · 172 votes
    11y

    Take @Matthew Paul advice.....  don't know the full story but kicking him out that way may not be the most glorious way to treat a father no matter how bad he is....

    just my opinion.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Ronald Luangsisongkham 

    It seems odd that your Mom doesn't want get your dad out of the house but she will deed the house to you so you can remove him.  Outside the obvious legal issues, there would likely be tax implications involved as well so I would seek legal counsel before you follow through.  

  • Investor · Marysville, WA · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 62 votes
    11y

    @Ronald Luangsisongkham why don't you sell the property to me, split it with your mom, use your share for investing in something else and I'll deal with your father.

    He becomes my problem, you and your mom get money :)

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Ronald Luangsisongkham 

     that is one awkward  position to be in. I actually think something akin to @Aaron Ramm 's suggestion might be the best course of action for you, in that selling the property would certainly be the best way to separate you and/or your mom from the eviction proceedings. You and your mom would get money out of the deal and could move on to another life stage without the complications of the house/dad dynamic. Of course if your dad is one of those violent types that looks for confrontation and is bearing a grudge then there is no guarantee they he won't end up blaming you anyway. I do  hope that's not the case, and I hope you can find a peaceful and productive settlement to this for you and your family.

     It's easy enough, from a practical basis, for your mom to give you the house- she would just sign a quit claim deed (I'm guessing from your description there is no mortgage on it at this point- if there is that would have to be dealt with separately by either assuming the current mortgage or getting a new one)

    good luck!

  • Homeowner · Central Valley, NY · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Sticky situation! Not sure what I would do. Probably sell and invest in something else like @Aaron Ramm suggested.

    Good Luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.