Receiving a house as a gift

6 Replies

Background story:

My parent's went though a divorce and my mom owns the house. She doesn't want it any longer and wants to give it to me. She hasn't lived at the house for two years. Unfortunately, my dad is house squatting and wont leave. He doesn't provide any help financially.

Course of action:

She is afraid to kick him out for some odd reason. Since she doesn't want to remove him I thought that she should put the house under my name and I'll become the owner and evict him.


What would be the best course of action to transfer the title into my name in the state of Washington. In addition, what would the best way to remove him from the property without him knowing it was me? Could I hire someone to post a notice? The reason being is I don't want any backlash going back to my mother because my dad has violent tendencies and I want to solve this in the most civil way possible. 

Thank you very much,


I dont want to be in your shoes .  You could hand it off to a lawyer . But he will still figure it out .

Take @Matthew Paul  advice.....  don't know the full story but kicking him out that way may not be the most glorious way to treat a father no matter how bad he is....

just my opinion.

Good luck!

@Ronald Luangsisongkham  

It seems odd that your Mom doesn't want get your dad out of the house but she will deed the house to you so you can remove him.  Outside the obvious legal issues, there would likely be tax implications involved as well so I would seek legal counsel before you follow through.  

@Ronald Luangsisongkham  why don't you sell the property to me, split it with your mom, use your share for investing in something else and I'll deal with your father.

He becomes my problem, you and your mom get money :)

Hey @Ronald Luangsisongkham  

 that is one awkward  position to be in. I actually think something akin to @Aaron Ramm  's suggestion might be the best course of action for you, in that selling the property would certainly be the best way to separate you and/or your mom from the eviction proceedings. You and your mom would get money out of the deal and could move on to another life stage without the complications of the house/dad dynamic. Of course if your dad is one of those violent types that looks for confrontation and is bearing a grudge then there is no guarantee they he won't end up blaming you anyway. I do  hope that's not the case, and I hope you can find a peaceful and productive settlement to this for you and your family.

 It's easy enough, from a practical basis, for your mom to give you the house- she would just sign a quit claim deed (I'm guessing from your description there is no mortgage on it at this point- if there is that would have to be dealt with separately by either assuming the current mortgage or getting a new one)

good luck!

Sticky situation! Not sure what I would do. Probably sell and invest in something else like @Aaron Ramm  suggested.

Good Luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here