Foreclosure Properties

3 Replies

I have identified some foreclosure properties I am interested in purchasing in the Middle Tennessee area. I know there are different circumstances surrounding each type of these properties, but are there successful strategies in obtaining these properties before they hit auction at the courthouse steps?

Depends on how much time you have and the situation, of course. If the owners are still around and you've got the time, it may be possible to negotiate a short sale. However, many times the owners have disappeared and there would be no way to get clear title except via the foreclosure auction.

@John M.  whats the best way to try and get in touch with the owner? Is it crazy to use whitepages.com to get a phone number and call? Or would strictly mailing bet better?

@Zachary Baldwin , the best way, IMO, is to knock on the door (assuming the property is occupied). This also allows you to get a better look at the property and gauge the attitude of the owner (if they are the occupant). Otherwise, look up the owner on the TN assessors website (http://www.assessment.cot.tn.gov/RE_Assessment/), find their phone number (on white pages or however) and give them a call. Also check for a mailing address associated with the property records that is not the property address (as would be the case with NOO), to send a letter to...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.