2 duplexes side by side with an out of area landlord

2 duplexes side by side with an out of area landlord

Investor · Northwest, PA · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 24 votes

There are 2 side by side duplexes right next to each other in a decent neighborhood in my market.  The landlord lives about an hour away. One duplex is empty and I believe needs some work. The other has one side rented with the other empty.  I believe all four units are 2/1.

One of my tenants used to live in one, and said the landlord never fixes anything and believes he may have had enough of being a landlord.  My question is how when I contact him how do I go about asking if he would like to sell? I would like to do some kind of owner financing with him but I'm not sure how to word it...would it be better to call him or send a letter?  I know with a little tlc I could rent each unit for $500 plus utilities.  I think all the utilities are separate. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks Craig

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    11y

    i personally don't have experience.

    But my seasoned investor clients has success with yellow letter.

    I can also tell you on my first class as a Realtor. They advise we write a letter first and call. (Do not call list issues)

    Drop mail and it allow you to open conversation. Did u receive my mail....

    Not cold calling. And it also give him option to contact u

    ------

  • Investor · Waianae, HI · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Hello

    First you need to do a little homework. Get a preliminary title report ( free from realtors) and find out how much the owner bought the property for and what loans they have,  That way you will know if they owe too much. The title report will let you know how many years they owned the property. You should try to meet the owner in person or call and talk about the property. Don't tell them what bad shape the property is in! They will think the rentals are in ok shape and you will offend them. I have been inside a rental with pealing paint and holes in the floor and the owner tell me this rental is in great shape. Go slow time is on your side.

    Tommy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.