2 duplexes side by side with an out of area landlord

2 Replies

There are 2 side by side duplexes right next to each other in a decent neighborhood in my market.  The landlord lives about an hour away. One duplex is empty and I believe needs some work. The other has one side rented with the other empty.  I believe all four units are 2/1.

One of my tenants used to live in one, and said the landlord never fixes anything and believes he may have had enough of being a landlord.  My question is how when I contact him how do I go about asking if he would like to sell? I would like to do some kind of owner financing with him but I'm not sure how to word it...would it be better to call him or send a letter?  I know with a little tlc I could rent each unit for $500 plus utilities.  I think all the utilities are separate. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks Craig

i personally don't have experience.

But my seasoned investor clients has success with yellow letter.

I can also tell you on my first class as a Realtor. They advise we write a letter first and call. (Do not call list issues)

Drop mail and it allow you to open conversation. Did u receive my mail....

Not cold calling. And it also give him option to contact u

------

Hello

First you need to do a little homework. Get a preliminary title report ( free from realtors) and find out how much the owner bought the property for and what loans they have,  That way you will know if they owe too much. The title report will let you know how many years they owned the property. You should try to meet the owner in person or call and talk about the property. Don't tell them what bad shape the property is in! They will think the rentals are in ok shape and you will offend them. I have been inside a rental with pealing paint and holes in the floor and the owner tell me this rental is in great shape. Go slow time is on your side.

Tommy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you