Prospective Tenants - VA & Disability

4 Replies

I have prospective tenants whom seem to be a good fit. Both of the tenants on the lease are disabled veterans whom receive $1800 a piece, monthly for disability and VA assistance. No evictions, credit good, and good background.

The stable income is there, but I have heard that there are some tricky instances in leasing to veterans. All tips are appreciated.

Maybe you are referring to 'tricky instances' regarding active duty folks receiving sudden deployment orders?  Yes, active duty personnel are given leeway to terminate a lease early, but veterans shouldn't be directed to go anywhere.  Maybe voice your concerns to the applicants.  They can tell you if they may be transferred to a different hospital or something in the future.   

@Dawn Anastasi  

@Steve Vaughan  

My "tricky" situation is that no one who will be on this lease is currently employed. The two people on the lease are both receiving $1,800/month for VA assistance and disability which is guaranteed by the United States Government through the person's life. Given that this situation is uncommon, I was hoping to get some feedback on the potential fallouts.

Originally posted by @Evan Manship :

@Dawn Anastasi 

My "tricky" situation is that no one who will be on this lease is currently employed. The two people on the lease are both receiving $1,800/month for VA assistance and disability which is guaranteed by the United States Government through the person's life. Given that this situation is uncommon, I was hoping to get some feedback on the potential fallouts.

I don't think this situation is that uncommon. I know someone who gets VA assistance and disability. Veterans may get different levels of disability based on their evaluation by the VA.

And you're right -- as long as the person is still alive, the money just gets auto deposited into their account.  So it's very reliable income.  More reliable than an employer, who can fire someone or lay them off.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.