Zoning issues Austin Tx

4 Replies

Hey everyone, so I'm looking for information about zoning issues in Austin Texas. There is property that is a multifamily (triplex) built in 1948 that Im interested in but they're saying the ciTy has it zoned sf-3. And they wanted it turned into a duplex, but that doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be a legal nonconforming property if it was built before the zoning took effect? Is this worth pursuing? Is the seller confused?  Any thoughts? Thanks

Well, the best thing to do in this situation to to actually go the city's Planning and Zoning Dept, and speak with the person in charge yourself.  Usually, in my experience, if the property is already built, it should be grandfathered in.  

Don't ever go buy what a seller tells you, sometimes you have to find out for yourself.

Try this link: http://www.austintexas.gov/faq/zoning-my-property-...

And I would find out who the person you need to contact is by calling the city.

Welcome to Austin.   I'd contact the city and expect to get the run around with them if you can actually find somebody to answer your question.   Chances are it is what it is and you might have to pay some ridiculous amount of money to get it changed.   But you can try, you never know.   Just be nice with whoever you talk to no matter how angry you will become, because if you act like a jerk with them, you'll never get anything done. 

No company avatar mediumBrian Mathews, Brian's Heating and Cooling | [email protected] | 512‑350‑8704 | http://www.brianac.com

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you