Foreclosure Property

8 Replies

I see a great triplex for sale that's in foreclosure. Great area. However, I believe the price is too high. Having never dealt with foreclosures, how negotiable is the price and how low is a bank willing to go?

I'm in Alabama if that matters.

Throw in a low-ball offer and find out!! The only thing worse than offering too little is offering too much!! 

Eva Salas, well said, you never want to be stuck with a property that you pay to much for.

@Virginia C. Huddleston It really depends....... The lucky part for you is that there are many fewer people who are in the multi market than the SFR market so it should increase your chances right out of the gate so to speak.

Also depends on DOM (days on market), at some point the bank will want to clean up the balance sheet for the month or quarter etc etc and if not sold, will begin dropping the price, sometimes dramatically. There is an SFR here in my area that was listed at 52k after one reduction and an agent I know said "you could get that for 40k I bet" I said, you think 40k huh? He was confident in that. Well just a week or so later it's listed for 39,900, so I think I could get it for 30K now, I was thinking that when he mentioned 40K too but just let him talk. Point is, that you can probably get it bought for less than you think. Like was mentioned, make an offer, low ball, see what happens......

thanks yall.  Asking is 389,000. On the market for 202 days .  Rental rates in area around 900.00. 

That many DOM? It is difficult to say what to offer, not knowing the market or having seen the property. I would make a super low-ball offer and see what happens. I did that once, the bank rejected it, and after 9 months on the market, they accepted a lower offer than what I initially made, so even if they reject it, keep it on your radar. You can always offer more later...

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you