Small house, condo, or townhouse

1 Reply

I'm looking to get my first property and I have limited funds for a down payment I'm looking to do buy fix and rent. After looking at the market (AZ) I am pretty much looking at a condo a town house or a small 2 bdrm house. I want to stay in a better area rather than going to a rougher area for a bigger place. Which of the 3 would be a good investment for my first property? And any advice on ease of land lording between the 3 

Thank you ahead of time. 

Think of the property that can differentiate itself from the others. Condos and townhomes are all at the mercy of the most recent sales in the complex and it is hard to really make your particular unit stand out because they are all essentially the same, except with different upgrades. In addition, you have the issues of HOA fees, special assessments, fines because of tenants breaking rules and regs of association, and rental restrictions imposed by the HOA. If too many units are rentals in your condo/townhome complex it may keep potential buyers from being able to get a loan, because the lender can't package and securitized, and sell to either Fannie, Freddie and FHA. This lessens your pool of buyers when you choose to exit your investment. In my opinion a SFH or multi unit is your best bet.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.